USB Audio

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 10 01:47:19 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 17:21, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> It most likely shows up as an alsa device assuming it is a usb audio
> adapter, which it probably is.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> Maybe something in there makes sense.  If so, arecord can record from
> it, to wav if you want at whatever sample rate you want.
>
> --
It looks like there aren't any Linux audio buffs in this city or I just
haven't caught their eyes.

Arecord does see my device,  the soundcard is listed as Card0  and my device
as Card1.  As far as I can tell ALSA is all about Soundcards.   To use
arecord one uses alsamixer, but alsa mixer is about the soundcard inputs and
outputs.  I don't see any way of telling it about Card1 or my sound driver as
a source.

The site linux-sound.org has a wealth of information but I just haven't found
anything that answers my problem.  The answer may be somewhere in ALSA, I'll
keep looking.  Sox and Audacity could also do what I want if I could only
tell them about this oddball audio source.

Looks like I use Windows to get my L.P's and reel to reel tapes onto the
computer.  Drat.

Thanks Lennart and Kush

--
Merv Curley