[OT]: Apple releases Kernel sources for Intel Macs and "Mac OS Forge"

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 9 13:22:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 02:11:21PM -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Not to be too pedantic, but this is the first time the _INTEL_ Darwin
> kernel is being released; the PowerPC version has always been
> available under an open source license. Because of the delay in
> getting this version out (which Apple "regretted"), there was
> speculation that they would be changing their practice of maintaining
> the Darwin code into the Intel era. Now thanks to this release, and
> the larger open source initiative that includes other projects, we
> know that Apple is still very serious about open source. And that's
> good news for everyone.

Originally the Darwin kernel code was released for both x86 and PPC.  It
is less than a year ago that they pulled the source for the darwin
kernel as far as I recall.  People had already been playing with darwin
on x86 for a long time before Apple decided to switch to x86.  I
remember articles of people complaining about apple pulling the source
code, with questions about how commited they really were to open source
after all.

It happend back in May:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/17/78300_21OPcurve_1.html

Maybe they were just trying to figure out what they wanted to do.

Darwin 1.3 apparently was rather easy to compile and run on x86
hardware, which was released quite a while ago.

--
Len Sorensen