Open Source MMORPGs

Rob Sutherland rob-3Aypa9sX/B7wvR0lvYjcXw at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 8 13:56:55 UTC 2006

On Sunday 06 August 2006 09:31, Colin McGregor wrote:
> I have not tried it yet, but you may want to have a
> look at the Cube engines:
>
>   www.cubeengine.com

Thanks for the suggestion Colin. I checked it out and it actually looks pretty
good if you have a good enough box. It's a little heavy for what I'm looking
for though, since my target systems are salvaged and donated boxen.

Here are some of the other games I've looked at over the last few days,
just to give a little feedback to the community.

The jeweled crest - http://sourceforge.net/projects/thejeweledcrest

This is a basic web based dungeon type thing. It's a beta and a little rough,
but it doesn't look too bad.

Blacknova - http://www.blacknova.net/

A web based variation of Tradewars, if anyone remembers that :-) For
sentimental reasons I'm running a version at
http://www.luckdancing.com/blacknova

Liquid War - http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar/

This is kind of wierd, but it runs OK on a wide range of platforms and has
been around for a while. Each player is a body of water, trying to surround
and engulf other players. Works for me :-)

Planeshift http://www.planeshift.it/main_01.html and Eternal Lands
http://www.eternal-lands.com/

These are both free to use hosted 3D virtual worlds, you need a pretty good
box and connection to play them, but they're kind of fun and have active
communities

I also found The Mana World, http://themanaworld.org/, which looks
interesting, but the client needs a bunch of dependencies that I don't have
time to mess with - anyone tried it?

There's a meeting tomorrow night for anyone interested in helping out with
this event - 7:00pm Wednesday August 8th, Secular Freethought Center, 216
Beverly St.

Rob