Open Source MMORPGs

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 6 13:31:56 UTC 2006

--- Rob Sutherland <rob-3Aypa9sX/B7wvR0lvYjcXw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to organize a small LAN party and I'm
> looking for some pointers to
> Open Source MMORPGS and other types of networked
> game/social space MUD/MUSH
> type things that are easy to set up and get newbies
> started on. I'm trying to
> get examples of different types of games, from first
> person shooters through
> multi-player strategy games to looser, more socially
> oriented kinds of
> things, so any suggestions are welcome.

I have not tried it yet, but you may want to have a
look at the Cube engines:

  www.cubeengine.com

Bottom line, two open source first person shooter
games, Cube 1 is reminisent of Doom 1/2 (psudo-3D
terain), Cube 2 is reminisent of the Quake 1/2 (true
3D terain). Both games have single player and
multi-player modes. Cube 2 is available for Linux, Mac
and Windows.

Colin McGregor