Producing Musical Notes with Linux (Was: Open Source Song - "Write Code With You")

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 3 20:06:51 UTC 2006

On 8/3/06, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any command line tools or scripts that produce
> musical notes under linux?  I'm thinking in a similar vein as
> Festival, just producing pure notes?

One of the following might be suitable for producing notes...
<http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/cmn/cmn/cmn.html>
<http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/lilypond/>
<http://www.gmd.de/Misc/Music/>

These tools usually include staffs, clefs, and such, too, not merely
pure notes...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.