Open Source song - "Write Code With You"

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 3 18:43:13 UTC 2006

On 8/3/06, Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> What I heard on the site currently sounds like a derivative of John
> Cage's work.  It wouldn't be the first time there was trouble:
>
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3401901.stm>
>
> Although I expect the incorrect attribution was the real problem, not
> the chord progressions themselves.
>
> The safest course of action at this point would be to put up some
> randomly generated notes.  Be sure to gain sufficient entropy though,
> else you might be violating somebody's copyright.

LOL - That's almost disturbing.  Now I'm doubly glad I ran across the
Infinite Game Universe Algorithm article[1] on Gamasutra.com a few
years back - well before I even heard of Linux.

About 2 years ago, I ran across the book "Infinite Game Universe:
Level Design, Terrain, and Sound" [2] at Chapters, which is based on
(I believe) the Gamasutra article.

The techniques used in both cases are about controlled use of
pseudo-random number generators.  Will have to get on the silence
thing asap!

[1] http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19990917/infinite_02.htm
(requires registration)
[2] http://www.charlesriver.com/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=18860

--
Scott Elcomb
http://w3.avidus.ca/

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle,
stand like a rock."

  - Thomas Jefferson