4M more Linux laptops sold

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 3 02:21:24 UTC 2006

On 8/2/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The One Laptop Per Child initiative appears to be gaining momentum,
> though I can't say I'm surprised at which countries have each ordered
> one million systems: Thailand, Nigeria, Brazil and Argentina.
>
> http://ct.enews.eweek.com/rd/cts?d=186-4150-31-89-122426-483633-0-0-0-1
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if Mexico, Malaysia and some eastern European
> countries were close behind.

Cool machines... some interesting tech involved:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/laptop.html

I gather from what I have read earlier that the distinctive look is
supposed to dissuade theft, i.e. if you are using one of these
laptops, and you are not a kid from the developing world... you
probably got one on the black market? Which is a shame, because they
could probably find paying customers *here*...

--
Daniel Wayne Armstrong
:: build it yourself biology      http://biohackery.com ::