serial sustained speed (115kBauds)

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 29 16:09:55 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:16:19 +0300 (IDT)
Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> has anyone here got experience with sustained 115.2 kBauds on PCs
> running Linux ? With 16550A compatible USARTs ? I would like to know
> what to expect drop-wise. I.e. whether a normally loaded (<0.5) machine
> can cope with sustained speed of such magnitude. Anyexperiences will be
> welcome. Sustained means hours or days at this speed (f.ex. driving HDLC
> synchronous link or similar).
>
> Peter

Peter,

   I used to transfer information between my desktop (PII/350) and laptop (P233) using a serial cable.  I used 115KB, and Zmodem as my transfer protocol.

   Usually, it worked.  If my transfer failed, I simply tried again.  This may not be good enough for you.

   I have not done this since I acquired a USB pen flash.

   I seem to recall reading the old Serial-HOWTO by Greg Hankins, and ignoring the more recent ones. This has been updated since, and the new version may be more helpful.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org