serial sustained speed (115kBauds)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 24 14:58:49 UTC 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 11:16:19PM +0300, Peter wrote:
> has anyone here got experience with sustained 115.2 kBauds on PCs
> running Linux ? With 16550A compatible USARTs ? I would like to know
> what to expect drop-wise. I.e. whether a normally loaded (<0.5) machine
> can cope with sustained speed of such magnitude. Anyexperiences will be
> welcome. Sustained means hours or days at this speed (f.ex. driving HDLC
> synchronous link or similar).

I would expect any decent PC to keep up with 115200.  I would expect a
486 to keep up with that if it wasn't busy, as long as the UART is
buffered (which a 16550A is).  I haven't done any synchronous
connections over serial port on a PC though so I am not sure what that
would involve.  HDLC over T1/E1 seems fine on a 266MHz geode though. :)
The hardware probably helps out a bit though.

Len Sorensen