EM64T and linux

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 28 23:46:27 UTC 2006

On 28-Apr-06, at 7:33 PM, Vince Hillier wrote:

> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
>> On 4/28/06, Phillip Qin <Phillip.Qin-szgMhqSEIEG+XT7JhA+gdA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> But all the servers Dell offers use the EM64T. I have no choice.
>>> The port
>>> does say "The port consists of kernels for all AMD 64bit CPUs
>>> with AMD64
>>> extension and all Intel CPUs with EM64T extension, and a common
>>> 64bit
>>> userspace.".
>>
>> Well, then, that strikes me as an excellent reason to NOT buy
>> servers from Dell.
>

> That's pretty black and white no?  The 64 bit processors run 32 bit
> code fine.
>

>> We stopped doing it a while back because they were severely
>> underperforming.
>
> I'd like to see "serverly" defined, as they're not that bad.
Dell servers are what they are, they don't perform well for
postgresql. This is a well known fact. The reason is because their
disk I/O is very poor. Disk I/O affects all applications.

For the same money you can get much better hardware. But it's your
money Chris is giving you the benefit of the experience of a company
that uses a lot of servers. You can choose to accept this charity or
not...