EM64T and linux

Vince Hillier vince-WxfNDWQh5LNIo2TaICnI/Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 29 04:42:42 UTC 2006

Dave Cramer wrote:

> On 28-Apr-06, at 7:33 PM, Vince Hillier wrote:
>
>> Christopher Browne wrote:

>>> Well, then, that strikes me as an excellent reason to NOT buy
>>> servers from Dell.
>>

>> That's pretty black and white no?  The 64 bit processors run 32 bit
>> code fine.
>>

>>> We stopped doing it a while back because they were severely
>>> underperforming.
>>

>> I'd like to see "serverly" defined, as they're not that bad.
>
> Dell servers are what they are, they don't perform well for
> postgresql. This is a well known fact. The reason is because their
> disk I/O is very poor. Disk I/O affects all applications.
>
> For the same money you can get much better hardware. But it's your
> money Chris is giving you the benefit of the experience of a company
> that uses a lot of servers. You can choose to accept this charity or
> not...

Phillip is looking for a web server, not a postgres server.  I've yet to
see a site that would degrade a dell due to I/O issues. Your frontends
should be doing minimal seeking, if they aren't, you need a new system
architect.

Backends are a whole different discussion.

Advice much appreciated... Charity?  Move along... move along.