Awesome demo of "Municator"

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 24 22:05:50 UTC 2006

On 4/24/06, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> |   US$146 super-compact computer running (taa-daa) linux on a VIA chip as
> | shown at CEBIT 2006.
>
> Nice price point.  I think.  Depends on what it is for.  Probably not
> a great desktop.
>
> If it can run headless, it might have a bunch of appliance
> applications.

Ah, but if it can run as a "poor man's desktop," there's a *huge*
Chinese market for that...

> I don't know what 400/800 means.  Usually these split speeds mean
> something bad.

It may be a case of having the option of slowing down to cut power
usage.  That could be useful, maybehaps.  Particularly for
"appliance-like" applications.  Or when someone walks away for a
while...

> Factory options include WiFi "WLAN card".  But it also speaks of WiFi
> via USB dongle.  So I suspect that there is no minipci slot.

I'd be surprised if it was terribly expandable.

> | From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | What this has is a 64 bit MIPS CPU.
>
> Better than my Linksys router which only has 32-bit MIPS.  On the
> other hand, little that either the router or this box does can benefit
> from 64-bit processing.  (My router was a lot cheaper but it isn't as
> expandable; memory is limited to 32M, for example; it does run
> headless.)

Agreed.  The case where 64 bits is worthwhile involves either:
a) An application that's nearly DSP-like
b) >2GB of RAM

A "wimpy PC" won't be a place where 64 bits is particularly interesting...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)