Awesome demo of "Municator"

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 24 21:56:29 UTC 2006

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

| http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9203462148706105599

This is Flash.  It won't work on my Municator :-(

Just kidding.  It won't work on my x86_64 Linux.

|   US$146 super-compact computer running (taa-daa) linux on a VIA chip as
| shown at CEBIT 2006.

Nice price point.  I think.  Depends on what it is for.  Probably not
a great desktop.

If it can run headless, it might have a bunch of appliance
applications.

A bit more expensive than a router and not enough
ethernet ports to do that job (two would be the minimum; I don't think
USBs are a suitable substitute, but I may be wrong).

I don't know what 400/800 means.  Usually these split speeds mean
something bad.

Factory options include WiFi "WLAN card".  But it also speaks of WiFi
via USB dongle.  So I suspect that there is no minipci slot.

| From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| What this has is a 64 bit MIPS CPU.

Better than my Linksys router which only has 32-bit MIPS.  On the
other hand, little that either the router or this box does can benefit
from 64-bit processing.  (My router was a lot cheaper but it isn't as
expandable; memory is limited to 32M, for example; it does run
headless.)

The company's address is in Macau.  A Portugese colony until 1999.
Now a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.
Kind of like Hong Kong.