teksavvy

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 21 03:11:46 UTC 2006

James Knott wrote:

>>>Personally I like to endorse and use ISPs that openly support Linux.  If
>>>the DSL has a problem I'm just not interested in installing MS-Windows
>>>just to prove that the problem is not at my end.  I don't run MS-Windows
>>>and I have better things to do than do a timewasting installation.
>>>

>Define "support".

In this context -- being able to diagnose connectivity and solve
problems even though the customer is using Linux and can't set Windows
in a certain way.

In this respect, Rogers is half there -- while their techs make it clear
that their service does not guarantee
service for Linux clients, they still work with me. We are generally
able to work through problems once they know I can use tools such as
dig, traceroute, and ifconfig to help with the necessary diagnostics
from my end. In most cases I can give them better information than they
can get from customers with Windows diagnostics, which makes their work
easier and as a result they're usually quite helpful.

(Of course, it doesn't matter what OS you use when the main resolution
is usually "reboot the cablemodem :-P".)

- Evan