teksavvy

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 21 10:17:47 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> In this respect, Rogers is half there -- while their techs make it clear
> that their service does not guarantee
> service for Linux clients, they still work with me. We are generally
> able to work through problems once they know I can use tools such as
> dig, traceroute, and ifconfig to help with the necessary diagnostics
> from my end. In most cases I can give them better information than they
> can get from customers with Windows diagnostics, which makes their work
> easier and as a result they're usually quite helpful.
>
> (Of course, it doesn't matter what OS you use when the main resolution
> is usually "reboot the cablemodem :-P".)

Try sending them an ethereal dump.  ;-)

I had a problem with email, that started when they switched to Yahoo.
It took a while to find someone who even knew what a network monitor
was, but the problem was finally resovled.

I was able to show them the problem, with that dump and a few sample
spams that were blocking my mail downloads.