Linux-compatable MP3 players?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 16 00:46:44 UTC 2006

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

| On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:47:02AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote
|
| > This is what I chose recently:
| >   http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=009219&cid=MP.29&PHPSESSID=fe028cb7628857f9fe0d098c13c320fb
|
|   Looks interesting, as does its 1-gig big brother.

The 1G version no longer has the virtue of being cheap.  It costs
twice as much as the 1G.  I expect that there are more interesting
players at that price.

|  Does it handle VBR
| (Variable Bit Rate) and is there a problem with playing "low bit rate"
| MP3 (e.g. 64 kbits/sec)?

You can download the manual.  I don't have the URL at hand.  Here's
from the specifications:
             MPEG1/2/2.5 Layer3(8Kbps ~ 320Kbps, 8KHz ~ 48KHz) WMA,
             Audio ASF (48Kbps ~ 192Kbps, 8KHz ~ 48KHz), Ogg(Q0~Q9)

The manual refers to limitations in fast forwarding and rewinding VBRs
so I guess it handles them.