GNU FDL License vs. Creative Commons

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 14 04:45:13 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience to share in creating non-software
> projects like documentation or media projects such as podcasts in
> which they use a open source license such as the GNU FDL or a Creative
> Commons license, and why they chose one over the other?

I use the attribution sharealike creative commons license because I
find it very straightforward to understand.

So all the blogging, articles and notes on my wiki [1] and whatever
projects I end up tinkering with get released pretty openly

I basically don't care what gets done with my stuff as long as I get a
nod, and that's only so that the end-user isn't mislead as to the
origins of a work (i.e. I don't care about ego or fame).

And so because I don't particularly care, I went for the more
accessible license which I could easily understand.  I was also lazy
and didn't want to persue Gnu stuff because there's a lot of politics
and anger over there, which I don't want to associate with.

[1] http://jrandomhacker.info