Will certified e-mail stop spam? (was: unsubscribing... etc)

wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 13 19:43:42 UTC 2006

Quoting Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org>:

> Anybody who sends email that gets returned as spam, beyond a certain
> small quota that takes care of temporary misconfigurations, should be
> charged in escrow, by his own ISP. If the email is not returned as spam,
> say within a week, the fee is waived. Mailing lists request and receive
> special permission. Anybody who sends spam using that ISP pays through
> the nose. Anybody whose computer was zombied gets a scary bill and the
> alternative of terminating the account or immediately sanitizing the
> computer and maybe paying a reduced fee for the inconvenience caused.
> The ISPs will be only too glad to oblige. Any spammer on their network
> would be charged to the tune of $20,000 per month. This would be good,
> because other ISPs who would receive the spam could sue them, and they
> would need the money for legal costs...
>
> Peter

"Anybody whose computer was zombied gets a scary bill and the alternative of
terminating the account or immediately sanitizing the computer and maybe paying
a reduced fee for the inconvenience caused."

This is absolutely what I don't believe can happen.  I guess that's just how I
see it and will drag my feet the whole way should anyone decide to implement
this system.

Second, how are the ISPs going to separate the mailing lists from the spammers?
I'm thinking the measures they would need to take would just be too great and
time consuming to be worthwhile.

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org