Linux World Volunteer List / Information

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 13 18:53:25 UTC 2006

I have been actively attempting to over staff the
GTALug booth with volunteers for the Linux World
Canada show. The idea being that we have 2-3 people in
the booth at any given time and MOST of the volunteers
are free to look in at the other booths and take in
the event. I think we are now more that covered in
this area, still if you really want to help let me
know and I will slot you in somewhere :-) . Below you
will see who I currently have listed for booth
volunteers. Further down below you will see a DRAFT
briefing for those who will be staffing the booth (if
you see a problem with the briefing (beyond the info.
I don't yet have, like some details on May meetings)
let me know and I will see what can be done...).

My current plan is to send in the "final" exhibitor
list next Wednesday, April 19th.

- Current "Exhibitor" list:
1.	Armstrong, Daniel
2.	Cheah, Meng
3.	Chillcott, Gordon
4.	Chin, Teresa
5.	Cunningham, Leah
6.	Cunningham, Seneca
7.	Esfahbod, Behdad
8.	Frey, Ivan
9.	Christopher Friedt
10.	Hammond, Andrew
11.	McGregor, Colin
12.	Mills, Teddy
13.	Patrick, David J.
14.	Pikul, Jeffrey
15.	Rambajan, Don
16.	Richter, Herb
17.	Rocker, Allan
18.	Sullivan, Drew
19.	Thanis, Bill
20.	Weatherill, Amos
21.	Zaitsev, Pavel

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Booth Volunteer Briefing Draft April 13th, 2006:

Thank you, for volunteering to help staff the GTALug
booth at the Linux World Canada show. We do want to
have some fun with this event but there some things
that we do need to keep in mind:

Dress code: Business casual is the rule here, if it
would be appropriate for a relaxed but professional IT
department it should be fine here. This does mean that
things like ratty T-Shirts are OUT.

Business: Under our agreement with Plum Communications
our booth can only be used for is the promotion of
GTALug, we can NOT conduct other business in/by the
booth. If someone wants to talk about things that
might involve another business relationship, invite
the person for a cup coffee and AWAY from the booth.
There is a food court with several restaurants across
the street, under Simcoe Park

Badges: Under Plum Communications rules an exhibitor
can not enter another exhibitor’s booth except by
invitation. So, to see the other the booths, arrange
for a second non-exhibitor badge (a regular (free)
show badge, a press badge or
).

Sleep, food, and hygiene: We will be going with a
6-2-1 rule for all volunteers, namely everyone is
required to get at least 6 hours of uninterrupted
sleep, at least 2 solid meals, and at least 1
shower/bath per 24 hours. If it appears that a
volunteer in the GTALug booth has not meet the 6-2-1
rule they will be asked to leave until they do meet
those minimums.

NewTLUG: The April meeting will be at the show, room
201D Tuesday, 7 PM with the topic being a distribution
comparison. The speakers will be:
Debian & Knoppix - Colin McGregor
Fedora Core - Paul Mora
Mandriva - Evan Leibovitch
MEPIS and PCLOS - Geoff Mitchell
Ubuntu – David Patrick

Booth stuff: There is no electrical power in the
booth. We have made arrangements to get some snacks
for booth volunteers, and have a conditional exemption
from the convention centre to bring in outside food
that can be offered in the booth. If there is
something you really want to snack on at the booth let
Colin know ASAP. All snack foods must be in
individually wrapped, bite size servings, and be nut
free.

Free stuff (“swag”):  For booth volunteers there is
some snack food. For GTALug people we will have some
2.25” pin back badges with GTALug logo & names printed
on them. For everyone we have some Ubuntu install CDs
for i386, Mac and AMD64 to hand out.

Next meetings:
	TLUG: May 9th, 7:30 PM, University of Toronto,
	NewTLUG: May 23rd, 7:00 PM
	WestTLug: May 2nd, Sheridan, 1430 Trafalgar Road,
Oakville, ON

Colin McGregor