Will certified e-mail stop spam? (was: unsubscribing... etc)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 12 20:43:58 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 4/11/06, Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > This all actually comes back to the problem I once mentioned: smtp is a mess,
> > a hugest mess on the internet bettween all other communication protocols.
>
> SMTP has problems that make spammers' jobs easier.
>
> But at least some ISPs are experimenting with new anti-spam
> techniques, such as allowing email senders to pay a tiny fee to bypass
> spam filters. Perhaps once enough large e-mail providers adopt this
> technique, the spam problem will be reduced.

And you seem unconcerned about the chilling effects of this on mailing
lists such as this one?

A "tiny fee" would be a couple cents per recipient.  If there are 500
members of a mailing list such as this, and 10 messages per day, that
would mean that the "anti spam" fees to get THIS mail through would be
on the order of $100/day.

Technical mailing lists would no longer be available "for free"...

I'm exceedingly unimpressed with these "cost-based" proposals...

"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)