OT: Oracle

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 12 18:07:56 UTC 2006

On 4/12/06, bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org <bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I am interested in pursuing an education in Oracle. I'm wondering what
> employment opportunities exist for someone with Oracle Certification?
> If anyone has any information or ideas, I'd be very grateful!
>
> I think there should be many opportunities as almost every industry
> uses databases. I'm also wondering how hard it is for someone with a
> certificate, but no work experience, to find employment in this field.

There almost always is the rub...  There historically are plenty of
places that could use someone who is an experienced Oracle DBA; places
which need that typically can't afford the time and effort to take
someone inexperienced and make them experienced because there's
Important Stuff We Need To Do Now.

As mentioned last night, Afilias does have openings for DBAs.  And
it's worth mentioning that we're not exclusively looking for people
that already have enormous PostgreSQL experience, as we have
historically found that to be difficult to search for.

Experience with other databases would be considered valuable; the
things that tend to be of "negative value" are what is classically a
sort of "Oracle bigotry," namely where people think that how Oracle
implements things is necessarily the Only Way Databases Are Supposed
To Work.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)