chording keyboards (wasLets all use the IRC channel for once)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 11 20:15:39 UTC 2006

On 4/11/06, Yanni Chiu <yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > As for typing, I took a typing course in high school.  I learned some
> > stuff, although I do in fact not type "by the rules".  I think I have a
> > modified way of doing it that works better for programming (and with my
> > hand size/finger length I can do things like ctrl+letter/number one
> > handed.  Even alt+functionkey is normally not hard with one hand and
> > seems pretty natural.)
>
> I do these "chords" too, and it probably is natural.
> Whenever I do it, I think "against the rules" because
> I took typing in high school too.

Even though I've been hacking away since I was about 10, I also took
the typing course in High School.  (Ok, I took it 3 times - hey,
practice makes perfect!  Not to mention incredably easy credits...
lol.)

I didn't realize there was a name for it though...  "Chording" -
actually seems a fairly apt name for it.

When I (unintentionally) removed a bit of my ring finger late last
year (in a car door of all places) I thought I was going to die.
How's a programmer supposed to program when they can't type?!?!  lol.

I didn't though.  Instead, I learned just how much typing one can
really do with only 4 fingers and a thumb.

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

"A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be
peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care
enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a
revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We
can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability."

  - John F. Kennedy