chording keyboards (wasLets all use the IRC channel for once)

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 11 15:36:18 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> As for typing, I took a typing course in high school.  I learned some
> stuff, although I do in fact not type "by the rules".  I think I have a
> modified way of doing it that works better for programming (and with my
> hand size/finger length I can do things like ctrl+letter/number one
> handed.  Even alt+functionkey is normally not hard with one hand and
> seems pretty natural.)

I do these "chords" too, and it probably is natural.
Whenever I do it, I think "against the rules" because
I took typing in high school too.

I think you can buy chording keyboards, but they're
too expensive because they're not mass market.

I've also tried a handykey (that's what I think it's called).
It's a combined air-mouse and chording keyboard. You kind of
wave your hand in the air, and that motion moves the cursor.
I found it too uncomfortable. The real goal was to alleviate
discomfort in my right hand from "mousing". My solution was
to learn keyboard shortcuts, and struggle for a month or so
to learn to "mouse" with my left hand.