Lets all use the IRC channel for once

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 11 16:07:26 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> So Alt-Tab over to your IRC client and start talking. :-) C'mon, it's
> not *that* hard to start a conversation: just ask a question or just
> say "hi all, what's up". Even if nobody notices your comment at first,
> sooner or later someone will, and you can probably set your IRC client
> to alert you when someone types anything in the channel.

The benefit of IRC is that it is a near-synchronous conversation.

The problem with IRC is that it requires near-synchronous conversation.

I'm pretty happy with the fact that I can track email, an asynchronous
messaging system, as closely *or as infrequently* as I wish.

If I ignore email for 6 hours, that doesn't forcibly hinder
conversation at all.  The same is NOT true for IRC; ignore IRC for
five minutes, and a conversation may scroll away...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)