Linux fat/bloated

wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 7 14:31:09 UTC 2006

Quoting Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>:

>   Sounds like you're ready for Gentoo.  No dependancy hell, except for
> some idiotic software that insists on other stuff that you *DON'T* want.
> And that can be bypassed with a little extra work.  And you get to
> optimize the executables for *YOUR* cpu.

Are the benefits of Gentoo all that they are cracked up to be?  I've been
looking into it for a old computer and don't know if all the in-depth
configuration I've been hearing about will be worth it.  I suppose my question
is, is Gentoo a Joe-Linux-user distro or a
Joe-power-Linux-user-with-years-and-years-of-sysadmin-experiences distro?

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org