Linux fat/bloated

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 12 06:19:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:26:01AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> Makes me wonder if the source code was the same version,

  Definitely same version.  It's actually "abandon-ware", hosted at
http://www.techrescue.org/xboing/ so it's not being actively updated.
The documentation in /usr/share/doc/xboing-2.4-r1/changes.doc.gz says
"Version 2.4 - 22nd November 1996".

> and whether you may have configured debian to use vesa and gentoo
> to use native x drivers for the system.

  Nope.  Same physical machine, in both cases running Blackbox on
native X.  VESA requires root privileges, which I try to avoid.
Furthermore, the VESA routines assume 80x25 fonts on a standard VGA
(640x400) textmode console.  I run 80x48 on a 640x480 VGA textmode
console, and it gets badly screwed up when exiting VESA.  I found this
out "the hard way" when experimenting with VESA in mplayer.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca