Business case for switching to Linux

Jason Spiro jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 7 04:26:27 UTC 2006

2006/4/6, John Van Ostrand <john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org>:
> RPM based systems can be fixed quite easily.
> Altered files can be found with "rpm -Va" and inspected.
And I don't know much about it but perhaps Anthony Towns' cruft(8)
utility can do the same thing for Debian-based distros.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I am not a sysadmin...

But is this really any easier than reimaging when a large enough
percentage of files on a large enough number of machines become
infected or corrupted?

Reimaging is easy enough that even junior help-desk workers can do the
repetitive part of the work, and they probably already know how to do
it. They are less likely to know how to use other tools like rpm -Va,
and so would have to be taught.

Plus, I assume rpm -Va does not affect binaries not originally from
any .rpm which is sitting in /usr/local/stow or in a user's home
directory.

Jason