Business case for switching to Linux

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 7 01:21:51 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 20:55 -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Fraser Campbell wrote:
>
> > It is quite a reasonable approach.  On a hacked Linux box I would highly
> > recommend reimage/reinstall as well.

For a novice user, perhaps. RPM based systems can be fixed quite easily.
Altered files can be found with "rpm -Va" and inspected. The toughest
one I had was when infected files like 'ls' and 'ps' would re-infect
when run. Installing RPMs that used infected commands in pre or post
install scripts would re-infect. Even then the --noscripts option worked
great.

If you're worried about root kits becoming smart enough to mangle the
RPM database, then archive and sign it.