JP: Linux System Adminstrator, UofT St. George

interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org interlug-vSRlqIl1h/9eoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 6 18:47:26 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 13:34, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On 4/6/06, billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org <billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > We are talking about a lab that is excempt to many regulations
> > because of National Security.
>
> We could hope so.  Can't confirm this as yet, but I'm looking.

  Too bad the original poster didn't care to clarify this issue
regarding his job posting.  It's an interesting topic.  My instinct is
that asking for a photo with a resume is wrong in Canada.  I've been
told that in India it is expected that you will submit a photo with
your resume.  That was in 1998, so things may have changed in the
interim.

  So I asked a law student that I know, what the deal is.  Turns out we
are all correct.  It's wrong to use a photo of the applicant for
discrimination.  But it's okay to require a photo if it is needed for
some reason.  See the example below.

Here is the reply from the law student. If you need a "Real Answer" buy
one from your own lawyer.  This is not legal advice.

> I know that employees at Canadian nuclear facilities with the advent
of the new
> 'war on terror' were required to submit to background checks, along
with their
> spouses, who had no contact with the plants, and this was held to be
> justifiable; a lot of what feels wrong in law probably isn't.
>
> The Charter protects an individual from unreasonable search and
seizure,
> protection of life, liberty and security of the person, and no
discrimination
> (along with a bunch of other stuff, of course).  Nothing in the
Charter really
> seems directly on point to having to submit a photo at the outset,
unless it's
> for a discriminatory purpose.
>
> The way the Charter works is that even if something is contrary to the
Charter,
> there's still a s. 1 analysis in which the violation could be
considered a
> reasonable limit.  This analysis looks at the objectives of the
statute, and the
> impairment on the rights of the individual.  Note that the Charter
only applies
> to federal or provincial acts, since it deals with stuff prescribed by
law, so
> private acts are not captured by the Charter.
>
> All that being said, assuming, arguendo, that the lab is governed by
an enabling
> statute, the purpose of the photo is likely not discriminatory in
itself, but
> rather for identification purposes given security issues.  Even if it
were to
> breach the individual's Charter rights, which I don't really see it
doing, it
> would probably be justifiable as a reasonable limit under s. 1.
>
> Where I think that there may be more play is with PIPEDA, which
applies to
> commercial organizations and federal works and undertakings (e.g.
banks,