Motherboard for AMD64

Marc Lijour marc-bbkyySd1vPWsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 5 14:02:08 UTC 2006

On April 5, 2006 09:52 am, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 09:19:41AM -0400, Marc Lijour wrote:
> > I am using a K8V SE deluxe but it is getting old and I had a couple of
> > issues with it. The last one being that the VIA chipset cannot recognize
> > SATA-II drives....
>
> They are _supposed_ to be backwards compatible.

This is what I heard but look at this:
http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe

and this
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1337&p_created=1112379341&p_sid=Zo1GRuIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NSZwX3Byb2RzPTIwMyZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTEuMjAzOzIudTAmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD12aWE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

The problem is that the Maxtor drive has not jumper...

> > For the record, I bought the Maxtor Diamond 10 and it comes without
> > jumper settings (I know it is not a IDE drive) hence I can't tell it to
> > emulate SATA (1) as other drives permit.
> >
> > Do you know of a good motherboard out there?
>
> Well you are not the first person I have read about with problems on
> that type of drive.  I saw one person on lkml that had two maxtors, with
> a slightly different model code.  One worked, the other was unstable.
>
> Are you running the latest bios version for the board?  (Latest is 1402
> from March 2nd, 2006).

I downloaded one yesterday. But the last one seems to be 1007?
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

> So far I have been very happy with an A8V Deluxe, although I have not
> run SATA2 drives on it, just a pair of WD 250G SATA1 drives.
>
> There are people seeing problems with maxtor drives on intel, via, sil,
> and other controllers.  I think maxtor has screwed up their sata
> firmware (just as seagate had in the past).
>
> Here is a thread from last month on lkml about it:
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0603.2/0295.html

Mine

> Many people seeing odd problems it seems, and saying changing disks to
> hitachi or wd or whatever makes the problem go away.

I should try that.
Thanks.