Motherboard for AMD64

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 5 14:07:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:02:08AM -0400, Marc Lijour wrote:
> This is what I heard but look at this:
> http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe
>
> and this
> http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1337&p_created=1112379341&p_sid=Zo1GRuIh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NSZwX3Byb2RzPTIwMyZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTEuMjAzOzIudTAmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD12aWE*&p_li=&p_topview=1
>
> The problem is that the Maxtor drive has not jumper...

I guess don't buy maxtor if you have a via chipset then (although having
read all the problems lately, I will just stick to the WD drives I have
used for a number of years now with no problems).

> I downloaded one yesterday. But the last one seems to be 1007?
> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Well it sounds like the hardware simply doesn't like the new drives.
Odd, I would have thought the drives would default to SATA1 mode until
they could negotiate faster with the controller.  I guess they don't all
do that.

Len Sorensen