RPM trouble in rescue mode

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 5 02:24:47 UTC 2006

On 4/4/06, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to recover a broken system using Redhat's rescue mode (Redhat
> AS 4). I have the root file system mounted and I've chroot'ed. When
> trying to install some RPMs, up2date fails with 'exit status 255'. No
> further explaination is given.  I tried using rpm instead of up2date and
> I had the same error.  What does this mean and how to I fix it?

>From http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/returncode/

[quote]
Summary
What do the various rpm return code values mean? I cannot find a chart.

Symptom
I looked for a return code meaning chart, when RPM returned a non-zero
return code, I cannot find an interpertation. I tried to RTFM ...

Background
Return codes have to have arcane meanings, don't they? This is *nix,
after all ...

Diagnosis
You are thinking too hard.

Solution
There is presently no deep meaning to non-zero RPM return codes.
[/quote]

Lol.

Anyway, following that there's a list message suggesting the return
code is a counter for the number of failed packages.

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

"A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be
peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care
enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a
revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We
can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability."

  - John F. Kennedy