JP: Linux System Adminstrator, UofT St. George

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 5 00:32:43 UTC 2006

As the link I posted suggests: "photos for security
passes or company files can be taken after selection".

IANAL but the rule of thumb is that the prospect
employer shouldn't ask for something that could be
used to discriminate wrongfully a candidate. Things
like age or other personal data that the company needs
(for insurance coverage for example) can be asked
after the job offer is made.

I'm a little sensitive since after a job interview
last year (for a job posted here by the way) they
asked me to fill out a form with personal data,
including date of birth. The form was labelled "to be
filled out only by candidates who are offered a
position" or something  of the sort. I pointed that
out and they dismissed it "it's OK", and you don't
want to come as a jerk if you think you're getting the
job. Next day I got an email with a rejection. So I
wondered if somebody freaked out when they read about
my age - I look much younger :-)

Anyways the gods rewarded me with a much better job...

Fernando

http://www.chrc-ccdp.ca/publications/screening_employment-en.asp