YUM Error

Tom Watts wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 2 19:51:36 UTC 2006

John Moniz wrote:
> Jamon Camisso wrote:
>
>> Kevin Cozens wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Since the machine which has the non-working yum was upgraded from
>>> RH7.3 I would suggest you take a look at the contents of the
>>> yum.repos.d directory. The only files in there should be files ending
>>> in '.repo'. If you have files ending in .rpmsave the yum update
>>> wasn't complete and needed some manual intervention.
>>

>> You might also check that the repositories listed there are set to
>> enabled. Open each file and look for the enabled line and make sure
>> that enabled=1 for each of the core repositories.
>>
>> Jamon
>
> Hi and thanks for the suggestions.
>
> There are no .rpmsave files in the yum.repos.d directory. I also made
> sure that all repositories listed are set to enabled. They are exacty
> the same as the repositories on my other system, which does work. I also
> did a 'yum clean all'
>
> As per Tom W.'s suggestion to make sure that the baseurl exists, here's
> what I think is the baseurl that is causing the problem. There may be
> others, but it doesn't get passed this one:
> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>
> And here is the mirror site listed:
> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
>

> What would be the command that would return the value for '$releasever'
> and '$basearch' so I can check whether it makes sense? I can access the
> following site, which I would think is the right one:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/
>
> I also changed the baseurl line to the above - no luck.
>
> Is it possible that, even though I am able to access the internet, yum
> isn't?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John.

Did you remove the # from the baseurl line?  # comments that line, thus
ignoring the value of that baseurl...at least to my knowledge, that's
what it does.

Also, I think you're safe to assume that $releasever and $basearch are
returning the correct values.  If you're not comfortable with that, by
all means, it's safe to just put those values in yourself.

Other than uncommenting that line, I'm not sure what else to suggest.
Maybe copy the yum.repos.d directory from the machines that work?

Good luck.

Tom Watts
wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org