YUM Error

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 2 22:53:10 UTC 2006

Tom Watts wrote:

> John Moniz wrote:
>
>> Jamon Camisso wrote:

>>> You might also check that the repositories listed there are set to
>>> enabled. Open each file and look for the enabled line and make sure
>>> that enabled=1 for each of the core repositories.
>>>
>>> Jamon
>>

>> Hi and thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>> There are no .rpmsave files in the yum.repos.d directory. I also made
>> sure that all repositories listed are set to enabled. They are exacty
>> the same as the repositories on my other system, which does work. I
>> also did a 'yum clean all'
>>
>> As per Tom W.'s suggestion to make sure that the baseurl exists,
>> here's what I think is the baseurl that is causing the problem. There
>> may be others, but it doesn't get passed this one:
>> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>>
>> And here is the mirror site listed:
>> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
>>

>> What would be the command that would return the value for
>> '$releasever' and '$basearch' so I can check whether it makes sense?
>> I can access the following site, which I would think is the right one:
>> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/
>>
>> I also changed the baseurl line to the above - no luck.
>>
>> Is it possible that, even though I am able to access the internet,
>> yum isn't?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John.
>

> Did you remove the # from the baseurl line?  # comments that line,
> thus ignoring the value of that baseurl...at least to my knowledge,
> that's what it does.
>
> Also, I think you're safe to assume that $releasever and $basearch are
> returning the correct values.  If you're not comfortable with that, by
> all means, it's safe to just put those values in yourself.
>
> Other than uncommenting that line, I'm not sure what else to suggest.
> Maybe copy the yum.repos.d directory from the machines that work?
>
> Good luck.
>
> Tom Watts
> wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org

Yes, I had tried uncommenting the baseurl line. I think it's suppose to
commented out, but here's what happens when I remove it:
#yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (11, 'Resource temporarily unavailable')>
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: updates-released
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from updates-released: [Errno 256] No more
mirrors to try.
Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from updates-released: [Errno 256]
No more mirrors to try.

It adds "repodata/repomd.xml" to the end of the url. Really puzzling to
me, I guess I don't understand yum.

John.