Remotely User Linux Server's Web Browser. How do I?

Ansar Mohammed ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 30 02:05:16 UTC 2005

Step 1.
You need a win32 X Server.
You can use either the free version of the starnet products
http://www.starnet.com/xwin32LX/get_xwin32LX.htm

weirdx
http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/

or the cygwin port.
http://cygwin.com/
I personally use the cygwin port. The integration with windows is way much
better.

The rest of this will focus on cygwin.

Download the setup program for cygwin and run the installer. Make sure you
have selected the xwindows components and finish the installation.

Best practice is to install cygwin in C:\cygwin

Navigate to C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat and edit the file to your
liking.  I suggest multiwindow mode and "xhost +" to test.

Step 2.
Configure putty to forward your x session.
Go to Connection->SSH->X11 select enable x11 forwarding

When you login to the remote site echo $DISPLAY and you should see it set to
"remotehost:10.0" where remotehost is the remote box.

DO NOT SET THIS ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE MANUALLY. IF IT IS NOT SET
AUTOMAGICALLY THEN THERE IS A PROBLEM.

Step 3.
mozilla&