internet connection sharing over ethernet

Steve bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 29 18:26:45 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got a strange question about ethernet in Linux (Ubuntu Debian). I
want to know what sort of modifications I need to do to perform the
following 2 scenarios (and switch between them occasionally):

1. Current setup (currently working): Linux machine: connected to
internet via modem + sharing internet connection over ethernet +
running samba server sharing directories --->crossover LAN cable--->
winxp client machine.

2. Alternate setup (have not tried this yet): Linux machine: connected
to internet via ethernet + running sambe server sharing directories
<---crossover LAN cable<--- winxp machine connected to internet.

I hope that makes sense. Basically now I connect to internet on the
linux machine and that conenction is shared over the ethernet to the
winxp client. I want to have the ability to use the winxp machine's
internet connection to share to the linux machine over the ethernet
sometimes (basically the reverse of the previous). My question is that
I have never connected to the net on the linux machine over the
ethernet. Will it automatically detect the connection? Do I need to
manually change IP setting on the ethernet port? Also, I'm running
Firestarter now as my firewall and wish to run it no matter where the
internet connection is... will it be automatic or do I need to
manually change some things?

Thanks for any help... I was planning on just trying it out and
experimenting, but if anyone has any pointers that would help a lot
before I start!

-Steve.
--
Ubuntu :: Linux for Human Beings :: ubuntulinux.org