Odd interactions

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 27 13:21:56 UTC 2005

A while ago I was pointed at 'apmd' as a way of getting Debian shutdown
to turn off the computer.  Within the past few days it stopped working
in what seems like an odd sequence of events.

Just before it failed, I had installed a package of ALSA utilities,
which dragged in 'udev' as a dependency.  That started giving me
messages late in the shutdown process about tmpfs (tempfs?) being busy.
  Unexpectedly, removing the ALSA stuff and 'udev' did not clear up the
problem.  I then removed and reinstalled the 'apmd' package and, after
the next reboot, everything was back to working fine.

1) I thought people might find this interesting if anything similar
happens to them.
2) I assume there's a bug in this scenario somewhere, but I'm not sure
if it's in 'udev', 'apmd', Debian or something else.  Any reporting
suggestions?

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714