Anyone have cnn.com videos working in linux?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 24 18:17:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 03:40:31AM +0000, Craig Routledge wrote
> On 09/23/2005 07:43:03 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >  The cnn.com site has quite a few "Watch:" links, but they come back
> >with a complaint about media player plugin not detected.  Mplayer is
> >perfectly capable of playing the videos, but the HTML is tilted towards
> >IE.  Anybody manage to get it working in linux under Firefox?
>
> I've had luck with the mozplugger program.  It invokes whatever program is
> specified by your system's MIME-type database.  It even seems to play the
> video within the web browser.  I tried it.  It worked.  I didn't look any
> more closely at it.  Your milage *will* vary.
>
> See http://mozplugger.mozdev.org/

  There's a problem in Gentoo, because it's masked out.  Sorta like
Debian testing and/or unstable.  The problem can be anything from "it
works great but hasn't been't been tested sufficiently" to "t0t at lly
b0rk3n".  I can over-ride the masking, but I'm on my own for
bug-handling.

  There's a package called mplayerplug-in that is available under
portage.  It's intended for mozilla, but copying mplayerplug-in.so to
the Firefox plugins directory should work.  Their homepage is...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerplug-in/

  I'm building mplayerplug-in right now.  If it doesn't work, I'll try
mozplugger.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca