Anyone have cnn.com videos working in linux?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 24 21:22:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 02:17:25PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

>   There's a package called mplayerplug-in that is available under
> portage.  It's intended for mozilla, but copying mplayerplug-in.so to
> the Firefox plugins directory should work.  Their homepage is...
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayerplug-in/
>
>   I'm building mplayerplug-in right now.  If it doesn't work, I'll try
> mozplugger.

  1 step forward, 1 step back.  mplayerplug-in got built with gtk1, and
Firefox uses gtk2.  The error message said something about "Toolkit
Mismatch error".  Closing the CNN player window crashes Firefox every
time.  Anyhow, I've now added "gtk2" to my USE variable (a Gentoo
setting) and "emerge --pretend --verbose" indicates that gtk2 would be
used.  I'll run "emerge --newuse --update --world" while I'm at it, and
try to get all my apps on the same page.  I think that XMMS is gtk1-only
so it'll stay that way.

  A few minutes later... only mplayerplug-in had to be rebuilt.  It
works... sort-of.  The  clip plays... and plays... and plays.  I've
found that if I close the CNN video-selection window, the mplayer plugin
exits when the current clip finishes.

  The Lake Charles clip is scarey.  I started my career with Environment
Canada as a weather observer at Cape St James, a little rock (1/2 mile
long by 1/4 mile wide) at the southern tip of the Queen Charlottes.
Back in 1976 it had human observers, not an autostation.  It's on the
main stormtrack heading into Vancouver.  I saw the occasional
"horizontal rain" out there, but nothing like what I saw on the Lake
Charles clip.

My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca