'Best practices' question for a backup

Tim Goodaire tgoodaire-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 23 17:28:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 04:17:40PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
> >On 9/22/05, Dave Bour <dcbour-Uj1Tbf34OBsy5HIR1wJiBuOEVfOsBSGQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> >>You're right, however I guess that some people have anm expectation of
> >>what
> >>they do is private and not their employers business, hence having them
> >>sign
> >>an acknowledgement of such policies makes it clear what the expectations
> >>are. Not being a lawyer, I can't tell you who's correct, but at least by
> >>signing such an acknowledgement, the employer asserts his rights.
> >

> >If the computers are NOT considered to belong to the employer, then
> >there are a myriad of liability issues to rear their ugly heads, and
> >that ought to be the "trumping" factor.
>
> This is a very important topic, but I also expect the program to be used
> by individual as well as corporate people. Either way, being an OSS
> program, there will be nothing to 'sign' from my point as view as the
> author.
>
> My concern is the default behaviour of the program when the end user is
> unknown.

Why not make it an option that must be configured and has no default?
The configuration file could have comments that explain these two
types of behaviour and their possible risks.

This way the user makes this decision about the behaviour on their own and
there is less of a chance for surprises.

Tim