The unknown IC and the Sony SBX8025-F

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 23 14:10:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 07:05:09AM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Both my unknown chip and the Sony SBX8025-F chip have
> 3 pins, power (+5V), ground, and data. There is a
> small lens on one side of the chip, and what signal
> appears on the data line depends on what IR signal the
> photo diode behind that lens detects.

Are the pins labeled at all for which is power ground and data?  If you
knew those then yeah the circuit is likely to work (assuming the ir chip
uses the correct carrier frequency for your remote, although I would
hope it uses what appears to be most common (40khz)).

> Yes, the only reason I though reverse engineering
> might be an option is these two chips have 3 pins, or
> by my math 6 possible pin-out combinations. Still at
> $4 a pop and reasonably expecting to loose 3 chips on
> average, that is math that doesn't appeal to me :-( .

I would think even some of the wrong setups wouldn't hurt it (ie +5 to
data and data to +5 shouldn't hurt anything, that would just be unstable
power and constant high data).

You could also assume the pinout is like the one in the diagram to start
and hope it is a common industry standard. :)

Lennart Sorensen