The unknown IC and the Sony SBX8025-F

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 23 05:06:55 UTC 2005

On 9/22/05, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> My problem is IC information, I have two unknown IR
> receiver ICs (which I have had sitting on a shelf for
> several years), but I don't know the
> make/model/pinouts. On the back of the IC in the upper
> left corner is "40", in the lower left is "21", in the
> lower right is "99" and in the upper right is "0" can
> anyone ID this IC? Further can anyone point me at
> datasheet for this chip?

How many pins are on the chip?  That's the only thing I can think of
to help here.

> Alternatively there is the Sony SBX8025-F IR IC which
[...]
> But having spent some two days attempting to get some
> (any) data on this chip I am in a a state of
> frustration. I have searched the Sony websites, called
> Sony Canada, called Sony's Canadian sales reps., and
> called Sayal. Empty handed on all counts.

Maybe email around to other electronics shops.  A little out of the
way perhaps, but Nutech (http://www.nutechelectronics.com/) in
Hamilton might be a place to start.  Found them years ago and never
needed to go anywhere else.  (ymmv)

> As a final fall back option, any thoughts about how to
> determine what the pin-outs for an unknown IC? Do I
> just build the rest of the circuit, connect the IC,
> try it, if it doesn't work hope I have not blown
> something,  try a different pin combination and
> continue until I have either tried all possible
> combinations or until it works?

Testing through trial & error like that probably wouldn't be very
healthy for the chip.  Never heard of any methods to reverse engineer
the pinout of an IC, and can't think of any either.

Keep digging for the data sheets, and best of luck.

--
- SGE