The unknown IC and the Sony SBX8025-F

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 23 11:05:09 UTC 2005

--- psema4 <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 9/22/05, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > My problem is IC information, I have two unknown
> IR
> > receiver ICs (which I have had sitting on a shelf
> for
> > several years), but I don't know the
> > make/model/pinouts. On the back of the IC in the
> upper
> > left corner is "40", in the lower left is "21", in
> the
> > lower right is "99" and in the upper right is "0"
> can
> > anyone ID this IC? Further can anyone point me at
> > datasheet for this chip?
>
> How many pins are on the chip?  That's the only
> thing I can think of
> to help here.

Both my unknown chip and the Sony SBX8025-F chip have
3 pins, power (+5V), ground, and data. There is a
small lens on one side of the chip, and what signal
appears on the data line depends on what IR signal the
photo diode behind that lens detects.

> > Alternatively there is the Sony SBX8025-F IR IC
> which
> [...]
> > But having spent some two days attempting to get
> some
> > (any) data on this chip I am in a a state of
> > frustration. I have searched the Sony websites,
> called
> > Sony Canada, called Sony's Canadian sales reps.,
> and
> > called Sayal. Empty handed on all counts.
>
> Maybe email around to other electronics shops.  A
> little out of the
> way perhaps, but Nutech
> (http://www.nutechelectronics.com/) in
> Hamilton might be a place to start.  Found them
> years ago and never
> needed to go anywhere else.  (ymmv)
>
> > As a final fall back option, any thoughts about
> how to
> > determine what the pin-outs for an unknown IC? Do
> > just build the rest of the circuit, connect the
> IC,
> > try it, if it doesn't work hope I have not blown
> > something,  try a different pin combination and
> > continue until I have either tried all possible
> > combinations or until it works?
>
> Testing through trial & error like that probably
> wouldn't be very
> healthy for the chip.  Never heard of any methods to
> reverse engineer
> the pinout of an IC, and can't think of any either.

Yes, the only reason I though reverse engineering
might be an option is these two chips have 3 pins, or
by my math 6 possible pin-out combinations. Still at
$4 a pop and reasonably expecting to loose 3 chips on
average, that is math that doesn't appeal to me :-( .

> Keep digging for the data sheets, and best of luck.

Thanks.

Colin McGregor