Linux programming (and other) jobs in Ottawa.

Stan Witkowski Stan-PAleLrdANoqY+5vIsb+96wC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 19 13:47:09 UTC 2005

 From articles in the Ottawa Business Journal.

Skip this first bit to jump right to the jobs in Ottawa
if you're in a hurry.....

My comment:
Liquid Computing (liquidcomputing.com) has the following job on their web site:
    (This is a post-sales function. Having done both pre-sales *AND*
     post-sales for Honeywell Canada in the early 1980s, I found what they
     were asking for curious.
     The asterisks are MY opinion (1-5 out of 5) as to how important the
     requirement is when you are out in the field.  5 = vital
     Being able to schmooze with customers to upsell them while
     at the same time calming them AND tracking down what's wrong
     on their $500,000 system without going off the deep end yourself
     isn't something they teach in CompSci...      -Stan.
     )

The Customer Engineer will be responsible for product introduction
of the new STL Server systems at customer sites. As the on-site
customer prime, the major focus will encompass ensuring the
timely installation, commissioning, troubleshooting and
operational functions for successful deliverables.

Skills & Qualifications
     • 5+ years experience in a related Systems Engineer role         **
     • Network computer system knowledge                              ***
     • Linux programming and operation                                ***
     • C, C++                                                         *
     • Troubleshooting experience                                     *****
     • Experience interacting with customers with                     *****
       the ability to translate technical issues into
       understandable customer value/solutions
     • Strong interpersonal, negotiation and presentation skills      *****
     • Excellent written and oral communication skills                *****
     • BSc/BE degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering    *
     • Ability to travel throughout North America on a regular basis is
required.

http://archive.ottawabusinessjournal.com/archive_detail.php?archiveFile=./pubfiles/obj/archive/2005/September/14/OBJ-Technology/14527.xml&start=0&numPer=20&keyword=Liquid+Computing&sectionSearch=&begindate=1%2F1%2F1999&enddate=12%2F31%2F2005&authorSearch=&IncludeStories=1&pubsection=&page=&IncludePages=1&IncludeImages=1&mode=allwords&archive_pubname=OBJ-Web%0A%09%09%09

Penguins deployed in recruiting drive    (IN OTTAWA)
Date 	September 14, 2005

In a throwback to an earlier era, Ottawa's Liquid Computing
(liquidcomputing.com)
is parading three human-sized penguins throughout the city's
high-tech community in a bid to attract new employees.

The penguins were in the Moodie Drive and Carling Avenue area early this
morning and will be frequenting coffee shops and restaurants in Kanata
during the noon hour.

"We're a serious group but we also like to have fun,' says Andy Church,
Liquid's director of marketing and product line management.

A flock of 50 penguins have also been deployed on the company's front lawn
at 340 Terry Fox Drive to reinforce the recruiting effort. The company will
hand out a can of Millionaire Sardines to the first 25 qualified candidates
who submit a resume.

Liquid is looking for 20 experienced full-time Linux developers as well as
software engineers, hardware designers and other employees.

Liquid has employed traditional hiring approaches before, but this time
decided to try something different to attract attention and encourage
potential candidates to learn about the company and what it offers, says
Mr. Church. And while the event may re-kindle memories of the recruiting
stunts common during the tech boom, he describes the penguin parade as a
"low-cost approach" without the extravagance that sometimes accompanied
earlier ventures.

Liquid Computing is developing a new type of computer server designed to
meet the high level computing demands of the scientific & research, oil &
gas, biosciences, mechanical design and engineering & geosciences communities.

http://archive.ottawabusinessjournal.com/archive_detail.php?archiveFile=./pubfiles/obj/archive/2005/May/11/OBJ-LocalBusiness/12583.xml&start=0&numPer=20&keyword=Liquid+Computing&sectionSearch=&begindate=1%2F1%2F1999&enddate=12%2F31%2F2005&authorSearch=&IncludeStories=1&pubsection=&page=&IncludePages=1&IncludeImages=1&mode=allwords&archive_pubname=OBJ-Web%0A%09%09%09

Job fair a hit with the tech crowd
Date 	May 11, 2005
Brief 	A career fair Tuesday at the Corel Centre was a hit, according to
some of the recruiters that were there seeking to fill positions in the
recovering tech sector.

Two of the companies that attended enjoyed queues until the closing
minutes, proving that it

A career fair Tuesday at the Corel Centre was a hit, according to some of
the recruiters that were there seeking to fill positions in the recovering
tech sector.

Two of the companies that attended enjoyed queues until the closing
minutes, proving that it was time well spent.

"The crowd seemed to be in the range of about 1,000 people," estimated
TenXc Wireless head Joe Hickey. "We had 14 hiring managers there and they
were still in line to see us at 8 p.m. I'd say we were pretty well received."

His firm, along with Symbium and Liquid Computing, took part in the cattle
call that lasted from 4 to 8 p.m. Both said the spectrum of job seekers was
filled with young, old, experienced and just out of school. From that
diverse group, some will merit a second interview.

Symbium is looking to hire eight to 10 more people right now with another
40 more over the next 18 months. TenXc is going to be doubling its
workforce quickly over the next four months, increasing from about 33
employees to more than 60 .Liquid will be hiring engineers, business
development experts and other staff over the next 18 months.

"We'll be bringing a few people back for interviews and there will be a few
offers made," Mr. Hickey added "The good thing about this is you're able to
see a lot of candidates in a short period of time. You can quickly see
which ones you want to take to the next level."

Symbium director of business development Doug Moxon said the entire
experience was worthwhile and something he would consider doing again.

"It went very well, better than we expected. An awful lot of people showed
up, and I was impressed with the quality of the candidates. There was a lot
of talent there."

There hasn't been time yet to sort through the mountain of applications, he
said, but clearly some stood out from the pack.

"We haven't sat down yet and narrowed the field down, but certainly there
are some that we will pursue."

In the end, it was a positive experience, he stated.

"I haven't actually taken part in one of these before, but it's easy to see
the cost effectiveness of it as a tool to recruit talent. Simply from the
size of the crowd, you can see that some real talent would stand out."

Scott Taylor

Ottawa Business Journal