MIDI/Audio

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 19 14:23:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 08:31:23AM -0400, phil wrote:
> I'm planning on getting a new computer soon, primarily for "serious"
> reasons, but I've also been thinking about some off-hours functions.
>
> This is mostly speculation for the moment, but I'm wondering whether
> anyone on the list uses Linux sound and MIDI applications.  (I have
> <http://linux-sound.org/one-page.html> bookmarked, but it's more a
> catalog than a source of advice.)  I'm mostly interested in
> recommendations about infrastructure stuff such as supported hardware,
> custom kernels, ALSA, jackd....

Well I have played a bit with midi on my system.  I have an SB Live!
Platinum (which has midi ports on the drive bay thingy), and using alsa
on a stock debian kernel works perfectly.  I haven't tried anything that
didn't work yet.  For instruments I have 'Utopialive' loaded using
sfxload as far as I recall.

jack seems to do whatever it does, although on my slow 700mhz machine it
doesn't like doing things too quickly.

Perhaps a custom kernel compile with preempt enabled and such would make
things better, but then again they may become less stable too.  I
haven't tried.

There is even a dedicated debian version for music use called DeMuDi
(Debian Music Distribution).

Lennart Sorensen