Recommendations for USB card reader?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 15 13:01:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 11:59:11PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I have a digital camera that uses an SD card.  I'd prefer to pull
> photos off the card with a USB card-reader rather than use the camera's
> battery to do so.  For now it's just SD cards.  I can't rule out getting
> other digital toys in future that use different cards.  What are people's
> experiences with all-in-one readers?

Well I have managed to get one that doesn't work very well.  It
basically fails to notify linux of card changes so I have to unplug usb,
remove card, insert other card, plug in usb, to have it work reliably.
Rather annoying (it was a cheap 15-in-1 reader).

On the other ahnd I have also worked with an all in one 3-1/2" drive bay
one that connected to an internal usb connector on the motherboard,
which just works perfectly (which is good since disconnecting it's cable
would be a pain :)  It even has a floppy drive built in too (no idea how
to managed to fit it all in) and is also not too expensive (under $40 I
believe).

Lennart Sorensen