dhcp assigning two ip to two different cards same host

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 14:10:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 10:06:39AM -0400, Jose wrote:
> I have this laptop with a wireless and a rj45 network connections, user
> needs to sometimes get an ip for the wired connection and sometimes one
> for the wireless if he needs to walk around at the office with it, we
> assign ip by our dhcp server on a linux suse 9.0, we have the classic
> configuration file dhcpd.conf, I tried the following below, but it
> doesn't work, is there any way to configure it, I tried a double same
> host different ip and different MAC address, same problem dhcp would
> mark an error when rebooting the service., any adivice?
>
> # John wireless
>  host myt1557 {
>   hardware ethernet 00:08:02:ed:10:11; fixed-address 10.4.6.5;
>   hardware ethernet 00:11:95:12:h7:mn; fixed-address 10.4.6.6;
>  }

You appear to have a host section with two hardware and two address
fields in it.  I don't think that is allowed.

Why not do something "clever" like clone your wireless mac to your
ethernet card?  Then no matter which connects dhcp will think it's the
same device and it can receive the same ip in both cases.

Lennart Sorensen