Installfest thoughts

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 13 02:07:05 UTC 2005

On 9/12/05, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> And while liability is a key concern, I am also
> concerned about appearances, that we not look like a
> bunch of stupid jerks.

Right.

And based on the discussion thread that has surrounded this, both
aspects seem more than amply represented.

> No, the Seneca release form makes NO effort to limit
> liability in case someone gets physically hurt at
> Seneca.

Well, based on the matters that y'all seem to need to feel paranoid
about, it seems to me that the risk of legal liability must be
sufficiently dangerous that perhaps operating InstallFests is a
foolishly reckless thing to do.

Forget about whether you've got "the right" waiver; if the dangers are
so great, then anyone that heads to an InstallFest and signs a waiver,
thereby relinquishing their legal rights, is also doing something
legally reckless.

And if running such an activity is going to leap people into using
terms like "libel" then I can't see how this can be a useful
"community activity."
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)