Jeff Waugh in Toronto

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 27 11:25:46 UTC 2005

--- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> A couple months ago, when I still didn't knew about
> TLUG, I started a petition [1] on my weblog to get
> Jeff Waugh into Toronto during the Badger Badger
> Badger Tour:
>
>   http://wiki.ubuntu.com/BadgerBadgerBadgerTour
>
> Now the schedule of the tour has been set and I'm
> pleasured to host Jeff Waugh in Toronto on Monday,
> November 07. Currently, I'm in the process of
booking
> a room, and will arrange his talk most probably for
> Nov 07, 7PM in Bahen, 40 St George St.
>
> The room number is not available yet, but it will be
> one of the auditoriums on the main floor, and I will
> put signs on the presentation day.
>
> Unfortunately Jeff's schedule is tight, and talk
> cannot be scheduled for Tuesday Nov 08 which is the
> TLUG meeting.  So, what do you guys think?  Any way
> TLUG can help with organizing, etc?

Well, I am not much of an Ubuntu or a Gnome fan, both
of which I gather Jeff Waugh is very big on. On the
other hand, my reaction to someone coming to Toronto
who is doing very real work to help Linux get out into
the real world can be summed up as:

  How can I help?

>From the above I would assume the hotel and lecture
hall are effectively dealt with. Have you got a tour
guide/minder who will show him a bit of the city and
make sure he gets to the lecture hall on time? Other
stuff, PR will be needed, have the following been
looked at (and would you like me to look into)?:

- the upcoming events section of the free newspapers
  (Eye, Now, etc.).
- the business calendar sections of the non-free
  newspapers (Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, Toronto
  Sun, etc.)
- Passing out fliers at the local PC clone shops.
- email to the other computer (but not necessarily
  Linux) related mailing lists.
- Fliers posted in educational institutions (i.e.
  University of Toronto, Seneca College, Centennial
  College, etc.).

What else am I am missing here?

In other words ask specific help and while I will not
not promise results I will be happy to see what I can
do.

http://mces.blogspot.com/2005/09/torontonians-we-need-your-help.html